Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What I do when I'm not Blogging - Day Two

This girl loves to read!!  I admit there was a few years in high and throughout college where I was totally burned out on all genres of ink on paper, but as soon as college was finished my childhood love of books came flooding back {thankfully!}. 

My current reads that fill up lots of my free time are:
The Thirteenth Tale
by Diane Setterfield
Truth be told, I am not far enough into this book to give it any sort of a review, but none of my past book club selections have disappointed, so I am sure this will be an enjoyable read as well.  I love being part of a book club because a) it is nice to get together with my club friends once a month to discuss not only the book but life in general, b) I end up reading books I never would have read otherwise, and c) I like the fulfillment of actually finishing the book club book each and every month. 

*On a side note, my book club read The Help last month, and I definitely reccommend it!  I literally couldn't put it down!  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have heard the book and the film follow each other very closely.  Luke and I plan on seeing it as soon as it comes out on Netflix--can't wait!

A Severe Mercy
by Sheldon Vanauken
This is my second time reading this book--the first time was several years ago, and I wanted to refresh my memory...and bask in the romantic--yet real, sacrificial--yet perfect, love between the two main characters {it's hard to come by a romantic novel like this these days}.  The book, written by Sheldon Vanauken, tells the true story of his life with his beloved.  During the book, they both undergo tremendous conversions, which I find so inspiring and hopeful.  And, as an added bonus, the book includes 18 letters written by C.S. Lewis to Sheldon.  As one critic put it, "Here is a book for anyone who has truly loved another person."  Beautiful.

Montessori from the Start
by Paula Polk Lillardand Lynn Lillard Jessen
When we were in Charleston last week, one my of girlfriends suggested I read this book.  She said she felt it was compatible with aspects of my parenting style and had seen great results in applying some of the books ideas in her own home.  Ironically, one of my closest friends finished her training to be a Montessori teacher this summer and is now teaching at a Montessori school in Kansas.  She, too, recommended that I look inot it and has nothing but great things to say about the program.  Having been founded by a Catholic, she notices a lot of ties in with Catholic and Christian thought.  As I speed through this book--because I am just so curious to get to each and every chapter--I have noticed the emphasis put on the mind, body, spirit connection and how relevant that is to our faith.  I am hoping to implement some of techniques and tweak some of our current practices to help Augustine develop and learn in new ways.

Perfectly Yourself: 9 Lessons for Enduring Happiness
by {the one and only} Matthew Kelly
The Vercollone family are big Matthew Kelly fans.  I am pretty sure either Luke or myself has read and/or listened to on CD every book and talk the man has ever produced.  I enjoy MK's writing style because he writes as he would talk--which means he repeats himself a lot, making it easier to pick up and remember all the little nuggets of advice he offers.  I always like to be reading some sort of book that will inspire me to grow in virtue {because I am in constant need of reminders!}, and this is a great one.  If you are ever looking for something to read, pick up any of Matthew Kelly's books, and you won't be disappointed.  I especially like The Seven Levels of Intimacy and Rediscovering Catholicism  

Well, I am off to read...or sew? before my little man wakes up. 

Hmmmm, decision, decisions.  

1 comment:

  1. We also read The Thirteenth Tale for Book Group! I'll have to check out A Severe Mercy - looks like my kind of read!

    ReplyDelete