Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Million Dollar Question

As of late, we have been getting questions like this a lot:

So, when are you going to have another baby?

and

Is Augustine going to get a brother or sister soon?

and

Are you pregnant?

and

Are you trying to get pregnant?

and

Are you going to have 11 kids like Luke's Mom?


And, I love that I can reply, in all honesty: I don't know. (Well, except to that last one. To that one, I say, "No"--or "I hope not"--or "Please, no, God." Not that I wouldn't have 11 kids if that's what God really wanted--I would. But I am pretty sure it's not part of THE (i.e. God's) plan, if you know what I mean).


I like the answer "I don't know" because really, I don't know. And, really, it's all up to God.


But for those of you who want more elaborate answers to the preceeding questions, I suppose they could go something like this:

"Whenever it's God's Will."

"Hopefully!"

"I don't think so...well, maybe...I guess I could be...but probably not."

"Yes."
[and then someone usually throws in something 'funny,' like: Practice makes perfect, right? or You can always have fun trying!]

And, "[let's just laugh because that's an ackward question]"
...and obviously, they can't be serious--I'm already 28, folks!


The truth is, if and when we are blessed with another baby is not up to us. I know it's kind of a downer, but I acknowledge that Augustine may be our only baby [and before he came along, I knew there was the possibility that we would not be able to have any children of our own--neither of us have medical issues to suggest that, but there's always that chance, and several of our friends have struggled with infertility issues]. I don't have these thoughts because I want to antagonize myself but because I want to accept, and trust in, God's Will for my life and the life of my family. I find peace and freedom knowing that it is all in God's hands. Regardless of what the future holds [...even if it's 10 more babies!], I pray that Luke and I will peacefully accept it as God's plan for us.


We will keep you posted if any of our answers change... ;)

1 comment: