Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Favorites: Game


Since this is a broad topic...board games, non-board games, video games, ball games, other outdoor games, mind games (ha), etc., I will specify that this week is in honor of my "favorite non-board game."

Even still, the genre is large--think along the lines of cards, charades, Apples to Apples, Yahtzee...you get the idea. While I have just listed some of my most favorite in this category, my VERY favorite (for the moment anyway...) is DOMINOS!

Specifically, I love the Chicken Foot rendition of Dominos (...after all, it's the only one I know how to play--but did you know that there are like 20 ways you can play with those dotted pieces?!).

I was introduced to Chicken Foot by my brother-in-law, Cole, this winter. In fact, he taught me this great game on the night I came home from the hospital with Augustine! He, along with two of my sisters and one of my nieces, was in town. After going to Mass for the Feast of Mary, the Mother of God (January 1st), we spent the rest of the day inside staying cozy and passing around my sweet baby for cuddles. Then we gathered around the dining room table for frozen lasagna (which tasted un-bel-ieve-able, by the way--what doesn't after spending a few days in the hospital??), followed by popcorn, dominos, and beer...for some of us anyway...while still passing around the wee one. Aside from not being entirely comfortable sitting in a dining room chair (if you've had children, you know what I mean...), it was the perfect way to spend the evening.

For the record, I am not particularly good at Chicken Foot. In fact, it wasn't until I had played several games that I realized there was any strategy involved. To this day, I mostly bank on luck, but I have picked up a few helpful hints along the way.

Chicken Foot is a great game because a lot of people can play, it can be as long or short as you want, it is interactive, and it is fun! We usually have 4-6 people playing, so we only use the dominos up to double 9s...but if you have a lot of people you can go up to double 12s. We have tried playing it with just two people, but it doesn't work out the best.

AND, you can get a whole set of beautifully colored dominos at Wal-mart for $10! That is a bonus considering the price of some games these days!

Please share your favorite non-board game! Luke and I love playing games with each other and with company, and we are always looking for new ideas...I think Luke is getting sick of Dominos! :)

1 comment:

  1. We really love Dominos too! (obviously!!) It will be so fun to play when you guys are here visiting. And as far as non-board games go, we love cards. I know that Trouble is a board game, but it is one of Cole and my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete