Friday, April 6, 2012

Saying it Outloud

Do you ever fear that if you say something you're excited about out loud, it won't actually happen? 

I do.

For example, when you are considering a new job
...or pursuing a promising relationship
...or trying to get pregnant
...or preparing to move across the country in order to fulfill a life dream of raising your children near their cousins and grandpa.  

I know, it's silly.  But inviting others to anticipate with you something that has yet to happen really does make one very vulnerable.  Once you reveal your idea/plan/goal, there is suddenly all this pressure and expectation from everyone around you that wasn't there before.  It's like now if things don't work out, you're not the only one who is going to be disappointed--everyone is going to be disappointed, and they are going to look to you for answers {and with questions!}.

Yet, there is no escaping the possibility of things not going as planned because, well, it's just a plan.  You have to leave room for God to work {and we all know a great way to make God laugh is to tell Him your plans}. 

Still, despite the vulnerability, there comes a time when you just have to say it out loud

So, here goes:

After years of hoping for this and several months of planning on this, we are moving to Colorado in the fall.  That's how it looks on paper, but this is how it looks in my mind: 

WE ARE MOVING TO COLORADO IN THE FALL!!!!!!!!!

There, I said it...and I'm not going to lie, there are butterflies in my stomach.  Although I am becoming more and more convinced that it's really going to happen with each day that passes, I am keeping my heart open to an alternative reality because, like I was saying before, you never know when God's plans will be different than your own.  

But for the rest of this post, I am going to let go of that doubt and just approach this as though it is a certainty in my future!  Let me enjoy this for a moment... 

In just five months, I will be living only a short drive {or maybe even a short walk!} from two wonderful sisters, two great brother-in-laws, six precious nieces/nephews, and my Daddy!  Can I tell you how good that feels?  Though I wouldn't trade the "on our own" time Luke and I had in South Carolina while we were dating and now here in Virginia for the first 4 1/2 years of our marriage, I am beyond excited to be living near family for the first time in seven years.

Our move will also bring us within a five hour drive of my third sister, her husband, and their three little princessesTo my brother, Sean, this is my plea for you to move to Colorado...Augustine wants all fourteen of his cousins close by to play with :) 

In addition to family, which is the reason we are moving, there are lots of other things to look forward to come September: 
  • Like, a new house!  One thing that has been on my mind a lot is where we are going to live when we move.  Buying a house is a big and scary decision, but it's also really fun, and I love picturing our lives in the new house that will host our most special memories over the next decade or so.
  • Reconnecting with my close friends from high school and my time as a missionary will also be great.  I am really looking forward to having play dates with ladies I haven't spent much time with since we were single and child-less!
  • The Catholic community is also very strong in Northern Colorado, and it's always exciting to get involved with your parish and share fellowship in your faith.
  • Oh, and the food!  Some of the best places I have ever eaten at reside in my home town.  Luke and I generally don't go out to eat much, but when we first move back I will have to take him to all my favorite places!
  • Finally, we will enjoy the mountains and the active Colorado lifestyle.  Although we are NOT looking forward to the cold...or the snow...not even a little bit.  And Luke is already considering whether or not Augustine will be able to receive adequate soccer training in Colorado...my knowledge is limited here, but I told him I would look into it :) 
But, seriously, no matter how great the views:
or how much the town has to offer in fun or entertainment:
it all comes back to this:








Ah, family!

I won't bore you with all the details of what living near my family means--not today anyway--but it's going to be epic :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! How exciting for you guys. The hardest part for us living in Colorado is that we're far away from our families in Missouri. Family is sooooooo important!! You are lucky to have such a good one.

    ReplyDelete