Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Update on Gemma {food intolerances} + Thank You

I have been off dairy for three weeks now.  Within 36 hours of going off dairy, Gemma's small and localized, yet persistent, diaper rash was gone--and hasn't come back.  We also noticed some positive change in Gemma's temperament, but it was still very fickle--good one day, horrible the next.  It takes the milk protein weeks to filter out of my system--and then hers--so we didn't expect a huge change overnight, but I was desperate for more consistency in her mood.
Contagious smile <3

SO, a few days after cutting dairy, I cut wheat, soy, peanuts, and eggs from my diet as well.  We saw definite improvements a few days later, which was great...yet, my diet was less than ideal.   I decided to re-introduce wheat--and two days later, all heck broke loose!   So it looks like I will be off wheat {I'm trying to avoid all gluten} for the long haul.  Gemma seems to be responding well to the addition of eggs back into my diet, and when I am feeling brave again we will try peanuts.  Eventually we will try soy and dairy, although her doctor agrees that dairy is likely part of the problem.


Don't get me wrong, Gemma is still a high maintenance baby {darn cute and precious, too!} and some days are better than others.  But I much prefer holding a mostly-content-as-long-as-she's-in-my-arms baby all day long than having to bounce, shush, swaddle, and pacify an uncomfortable baby all day long.  We are leaning toward getting her tested for allergies in a few months, but until then I am doing my best to eat what she seems to like. 
Getting very sleeeeepy.

Some foods I have been eating a lot of are:
ground turkey
yellow squash
green squash
sweet potatoes
avocados
gluten free Rice Krispies with rice milk {essentially a bowl of rice...}
fruit
dairy/soy free coconut milk "ice cream" {it's actually decent} 


Sounds good, right?? 

Now that I am committed to this lifestyle and am more educated about foods that meet my criteria, I am actually eating pretty well.  My friend just gave me a gluten free pizza dough recipe that was awesome {with my fake cheese and a ton of veggies}.  I have also purchased gluten free bread and pasta that was ridiculously expensive, so it better be good!  Sorbet is also safe, which along with the coconut milk ice cream and gummy bears, are satiating my sweet tooth.
She likes coffee, too.

It's not so bad living without my cooking {haha}, but my Dad is coming to visit this week, and it is going to be so hard to have to turn down his cooking!!  Before I found out I would be on this diet, I was already dreaming about the meals I wanted him to make me while he was in town.  O'well.  At least Luke will have a week of good eating. 

And now I just want to thank all of you for the support you showed me after my initial post about Gemma's food/fussy issues.  I so appreciate all the comments, FB messages, real mail, text messages, and phone calls I received.  You all are so sweet, and your advice, concern, and care mean a lot.  :) 

...And lest you think Gemma is making me crazy, let me assure you that I never thought I would have a baby who sleeps as well as she does, and her smiles and cooing could melt my heart on even the most difficult days.  As a Mom, it is just super hard to know your baby is in pain and to not be able to make it go away...forever...now!  I promise a Gemma update on just the fun stuff soon! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are getting to the root of the problem. Sounds like it's been a rough go. FYI - I LOVE Pamela's Baking Mix:
    http://www.pamelasproducts.com/product/Pamelas_Baking__amp_Pancake_Mix/13193.aspx

    I've used it to make some really tasty gluten free treats. It's not too much more expensive that something like Bisquick (at least in Boulder, which is probably the gluten free capital of the world!)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg look at that happy baby girl. She is so stinkin cute!!! the last picture is so adorable too and i feel like she looks a lot like you in it! I am so proud of all you have done and I am so glad things are moving in the right direction. I LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete