Friday, April 15, 2011

Seven Quick Takes (2)

1
We are back in the full swing of Luke's soccer season. He is, in fact, playing in a game as I write this. I really wish I could be watching Luke play, but our little guy needs his sleep, so I am home with him instead. It's crazy how motherhood changes one' priorities, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2
A priest who is a close friend of mine just stepped down from his duties, in light of an accusation made against him of "inappropriate behavior." {Information about accusation is limited, but we do know the behavior did not involve a minor and is not criminal}. Although it is my hope and belief that the priest will be reinstated soon and found without fault, the other day I came across a comforting quote in times like these:

"The point is that, if the life, vigor, holiness, and efficacy of the Church depended only upon the virtue of priests and bishops, it would have been dead-on-arrival, not surviving that afternoon when the sun hid in shame and the earth shuddered in sadness. Our faith is not in popes, cardinals, bishops, priests, or even in monsignors. Nope: our faith is only in Jesus. He and He alone will never let us down; He will never sin; He and He alone will never break a promise; He and He alone deserves our absolute trust and confidence. That’s why it’s especially tragic when someone leaves Jesus and His Church because of a sin, scandal, or slight from a priest or bishop. If your faith depended on us, it was misplaced to begin with. We priests and bishops might represent Jesus and shepherd His Church, however awkwardly — but we are not Jesus and His Church."
Archbishop Dolan

It is for this reason, that when priests do let us down--which does happen--one need not lose faith or hope in Christ's Church.

3
I don't know any child who likes to be outside more than my son. He is only 15 months old, I know, but for the time being he would rather walk around the yard picking up rocks and leaves than watch tv {which he never does}...and that makes me happy!

4
My sister gifted me with some Resurrection Eggs a few weeks ago. You may remember my beef with Santa Claus, and I have been dreading facing a similar situation with the ever-more irrelevant Easter Bunny. Thankfully, my sister knows me well, and these eggs will really help incorporate the true meaning of the holiday...amidst egg hunts and chocolates and jelly beans and rabbits and baskets and plastic grass and ducks and pastels--you know, Easter things...oh yeah, and Jesus' Resurrection from the dead.

5
My 10 Year High School reunion is less than three months away {=I feel old}! Last night I dreamed about getting dressed for it. I ended up looking ridiculous, wearing a long jean skirt with black boots that zipped up the back. It was bad. Whether or not I will attend my reunion is still up in the air. Initially, I had really wanted to go, but since finding out that Luke can't make the trip with me, I am feeling rather indifferent about the whole thing.

6
After a 2+ year hiatus, I am really feeling like a normal girl again. And I am not thrilled about it just yet. Call me crazy, but I actually liked the pregnancy and postpartum era. I burned calories faster than I could consume them and felt totally justified in not working out, aside from pleasant walks and an occassional jog. Now that Augustine is almost 16 months old and is nursing less, however, it's probably about time to join the soccer team again...and to think twice before putting that giant cookie in my mouth...

7
Luke and I are reading an awesome book together: Called to Love by Carl Anderson and Jose Granados. We are only on page 60, but I am loving it. Here is a little sampling of the amazing-ness ...
Like sensuality, sentiments alone are blind to the value of the person. Think of how lovers tend to idealize their beloved. Their incapacity to see a loved one's defects is symptomatic of a deeper and much more dangerous blindness. Instead of loving the actual flesh-and-blood person before them, they love an idealized object whose value they gauge exclusively by their own subjective reaction to it. Such idealization does not exalt the beloved but actually degrades his or her true dignity, for it overlooks the real person, who is much more than the feelings that he or she awakens in us.

2 comments:

  1. 2. That is my most sincere hope and belief as well. I just want to wrap him in support, with the rest of our community. I have only heard words of support, which makes me so grateful to be a part of this community!

    4. It made me laugh (and sad) to see how much the media concentrated on "Earth Day" yesterday. "Oh yeah, and Good Friday!?!?!?!"

    6. Oh Andrea, you're beautiful!! Play soccer if it will make you happy, but you definitely don't have to worry about calories, in my opinion.

    7. Ahhh I need to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thoughts about calories in the age of pregnancy and breastfeeding-- so true! I've been one or the other for 3.5 years, and now its time to start getting down to business again--crazy how you can really get used to limitless ice cream, milk shakes and cheeseburgers. ugh.

    Like with Santa, we fully support you with the nix on Easter Bunny-- We were at David and AManda's for Easter today and we were the only ones who didn't "do" an Easter bunny.... I did get the boys Easter baskets, but I am totally ok with them knowing that mom and dad got them, as a surprise for you, in honor of Jesus. What's wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete